Movie Recommendations: 10 movies starring P&P actors to add to your stay-at-home watch list!

Bored on extended lockdown or quarantine life? Running out of movies to watch? Well, I've compiled 10 movies (yes, including P&P movie, of course) starring or co-starring Pride & Prejudice (2005) movie actors to recommend you to add in your stay-at-home watch list. You may or may not have seen some of these movies, but if you haven't yet, I recommend you check them out and add them to your list to watch right now or for later. Though I've previously posted a 2-part movie recommendations list here: Movie Recommendations: TV & Films starring P&P actors and 
Movie Recommendations: Other TV & Films starring P&P actors (part 2) almost a decade ago, I thought I'd bring it back with a new revised and updated list. Also, I've shorten the rec list to just 10 movies that not only I've seen (including the most recent Downton Abbey movie), but also I've loved and enjoyed watching (and even re-watched over the years). These movies are a must-see and they are the kind of movies that you can watch not only by yourself (if you live alone), but with your family and you can recommend to your friends too. Most of them are romantic period films that has strong female leads, while the others are modern romantic-comedies that are also hopeful and inspiring.


The following P&P actors starring/co-starring in the listed movies are: Keira Knightley, Matthew Macfadyen, Rosamund Pike, Jena MaloneCarey Mulligan, Rupert Friend, Brenda Blethyn, Donald Sutherland, Judi Dench, Tom Hollander, Simon Woods, Kelly Reilly, Claudie Blakley, and P&P director Joe Wright

*Read My Reviews
**Read my Commentary


1. Pride & Prejudice (2005)  ~ (director: Joe Wright) starring Keira Knightley & Matthew Macfadyen

Pride & Prejudice (2005) Synopsis

The glorious world of Jane Austen is at last brought back to the big screen in all its romance, wit, and emotional force in Pride & Prejudice. Faithful to the setting and period of the beloved novel and filmed entirely on location in the U.K., this is the first movie version of the story in 65 years.

The classic tale of love and misunderstanding unfolds in class-conscious England near the close of the 18th century. The five Bennet sisters Elizabeth, or Lizzie (Keira Knightley), Jane (Rosamund Pike), Lydia (Jena Malone), Mary (Talulah Riley), and Kitty (Carey Mulligan) – have been raised well aware of their mother's (two-time Academy Award nominee Brenda Blethyn) fixation on finding them husbands and securing set futures. The spirited and intelligent Elizabeth, however, strives to live her life with a broader perspective, as encouraged by her doting father (two-time Golden Globe Award winner Donald Sutherland).

When wealthy bachelor Mr. Bingley (Simon Woods) takes up residence in a nearby mansion, the Bennets are abuzz. Amongst the man's sophisticated circle of London friends and the influx of young militia officers, surely there will be no shortage of suitors for the Bennet sisters. Eldest daughter Jane, serene and beautiful, seems poised to win Mr. Bingley's heart. For her part, Lizzie meets with the handsome and - it would seem - snobbish Mr. Darcy (Matthew Macfadyen), and the battle of the sexes is joined. Read full synopsis here.


My Pride & Prejudice Film Review*

I love everything about this film from the first scene to the last one. The entire film was just simply amazing to watch. I must say, I've seen this film probably a million times now than I care to count (in fact, I have already lost count on how many times, lol...). Still, this film never failed to impressed me. The more I watch it, the more I love, love, love it! Thank goodness it's only 2 hours long as I can watch it 2-3 times a day if I have to or have the time to see it. It is just that addictive and fun to watch and that's without skipping a scene too. It's one of those few films that I can watch (the entire film) several times and never get tired of watching it. Not too mention, in this film adaptation of one of Jane Austen's six published classic novels, there are always new things I discover when watching random scenes I failed to noticed upon my first and previous viewings. 
 
Read my full Pride & Prejudice (2005) film review here
.





2. The Young Victoria (2009) ~ starring Rupert Friend

A dramatization of the turbulent first years of Queen Victoria's rule, and her enduring romance with Prince Albert.


*My Review:

Rupert Friend (having only seen him briefly on Pride & Prejudice as the unlikable Mr. Wickham and in Johnny Depp's The Libertine) has also proven to be perfectly cast as Victoria's love interest (and eventual husband), Prince Albert... *Read more of my Film Review: The Young Victoria 



3. Belle (2014) ~ co-starring Penelope Wilton

Synopsis
BELLE is inspired by the true story of Dido Elizabeth Belle (Gugu Mbatha-Raw), the illegitimate mixed race daughter of a Royal Navy Admiral (Matthew Goode).  Raised by her aristocratic great-uncle Lord Mansfield (Tom Wilkinson) and his wife (Emily Watson), Belle’s lineage affords her certain privileges, yet the color of her skin prevents her from fully participating in the traditions of her social standing.  Left to wonder if she will ever find love, Belle falls for an idealistic young vicar’s son bent on change who, with her help, shapes Lord Mansfield’s role as Lord Chief Justice to end slavery in 18th century. Directed by Amma Asante (A WAY OF LIFE) and written by Misan Sagay (THE SECRET LAUGHTER OF WOMEN).
*My Review:

Belle
was even more amazing than I expected. I love that it was based on a true story and was so moving and inspiring with intelligence and humor to keep you watching. Also, it reminded me a bit of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, in terms of the story and society the characters lived in and how already judgmental and prejudice people were back in that era. The main characters Dido Elizabeth Belle and Mr. John Davinier were also like Elizabeth Bennet & Mr. Darcy, but opposite in terms of rank and position. Dido Belle was more like Mr. Darcy, as she's wealthy and an heiress, whereas Mr. Davinier was more like Elizabeth Bennet, a poor vicar's son, but he was strong, opinionated, and intelligent man. Like Lizzie & Darcy, Dido & Davinier didn't get along well at the beginning, but ended up falling in love in the end (and of course, in real-life they got married and had 2 sons). They were real people though, unlike the famous literary fictional couple, Darcy & Elizabeth...*Read my full Film Review: Belle



4. Downton Abbey (The Movie) 2019 ~ co-starring Penelope Wilton

Synopsis
This fall, the worldwide phenomenon DOWNTON ABBEY, becomes a grand motion picture event, as the beloved Crawleys and their intrepid staff prepare for the most important moment of their lives. A royal visit from the King and Queen of England will unleash scandal, romance and intrigue that will leave the future of Downton hanging in the balance. Written by series creator Julian Fellowes and starring the original cast. 


**My Commentary:

I saw Downton Abbey movie last September when it was still showing in theaters. I loved and enjoyed watching it. A must-see movie for fans of the TV series (like myself, who has seen all 6 seasons!) and even non-fans (who love Period Dramas) will enjoy it too! I must say the highlights for me (don’t worry, no spoilers here) were: The Dowager Countess, Violet Crawley and Lady Merton, aka the former Mrs. Isobel Crawley...their sarcasm & witty banter were the best (even in the series, they were my fave duo)! Loved their funny one-liners and witty dialogue! Also, the Downton servants were awesome including Mosely...Plus, the mention of the late Lady Sybil made me missed her character (my favorite Crawley sister) even more...and seeing her adorable daughter Sybee with Branson...and cutie lil’ George, made me missed Matthew too. A great movie overall and worth-watching. I recommend you see this one especially if you haven’t seen it yet. 

5. An Education (2009) ~ starring Carey Mulligan, Rosamund Pike



Synopsis
A coming-of-age story about a teenage girl in 1960s suburban London, and how her life changes with the arrival of a playboy nearly twice her age.

**My Commentary: 

I thought this was a pretty good movie. Carey Mulligan's first major role that got her critical rave reviews, BAFTA win (for Best Actress), and both Golden Globe and Oscar nominations. She co-starred with Rosamund Pike (aka big sis Jane Bennet of their previous film, P&P), who got rave reviews herself with her supporting role. RP was funny here and jokes about CM's Jenny character. Ironically Rosamund Pike, whose ditzy blonde character, Helen made fun of Jenny in this film for speaking in and being fond of French, reading/studying English Lit and was headed for Oxford, was pretty similar (to Carey Mulligan's character Jenny) in real life, in a way that she...get this...speaks French (and German too), plays cello (and piano as well) and graduated in Oxford University (majored in English Literature). It's very interesting that Rosamund's character actually made fun of her real-life self...I didn't noticed that till after I read her mini biography on imdb, lol. She's a very intelligent and multi-talented woman, indeed.

Check out and watch this clip with Kitty and Jane Bennet...err...Carey Mulligan and Rosamund Pike as Jenny and Helen. They were getting ready to go to Oxford. One of my favorite scenes of them together in this film.


[source: mitsymagicful]
 
 
Here's part of my...
Film Review: An Education*

An Education was a fantastic film. The story was very well-written and beautifully crafted on-screen, interestingly enough because it was adapted from a true story from a memoir written by journalist Lynn Barber.

The cinematography was impressive and the setting especially the Paris scenes were beautifully shot. Carey Mulligan was radiant and stunningly beautiful in those Paris scenes. *Read my full review of An Education here! 



6. Far From The Madding Crowd (2015) ~ starring Carey Mulligan



Far From The Madding Crowd synopsis 
The story of independent, beautiful and headstrong Bathsheba Everdene (Carey Mulligan), who attracts three very different suitors: Gabriel Oak (Matthias Schoenaerts), a sheep farmer, captivated by her fetching willfulness; Frank Troy (Tom Sturridge), a handsome and reckless Sergeant; and William Boldwood (Michael Sheen), a prosperous and mature bachelor. This timeless story of Bathsheba's choices and passions explores the nature of relationships and love - as well as the human ability to overcome hardships through resilience and perseverance.
*My Review:

I saw Far From The Madding Crowd on Carey Mulligan's birthday (May 28th) of all days, that's because it was finally showing in my local theater and it happens to be her birthday. I loved and enjoyed watching it. The period drama feel and the countryside shown in this movie reminded me of one of my all-time favorite period movies: Pride & Prejudice (2005). Not too mention, one of its stars from P&P movie, Carey Mulligan (aka Kitty Bennet, the 4th Bennet daughter) was the main star of this movie. I've heard of FFTMC novel by Thomas Hardy, but has never read it until about 5 years ago when I visited the UK and a friend gave me a copy of it to read. I tried to read it during my flight back home from the UK, but unfortunately, the novel did not really capture my interest in reading it at the time. So, I ended up watching a movie adaptation of it sometime later that same year and the one I saw was the 1967 movie version starring Julie Christie. I thought that movie was good and I understood what the story was about without knowing much from the book. I went back to re-read the book and I did liked it, but it still not a favorite of mine.

Five years later, a new film version of Far From The Madding Crowd starring Carey Mulligan, surprisingly got me excited to go see the movie especially with Miss Mulligan playing Bathsheba Everdene, the main heroine... Read my full *Film Review: Far From The Madding Crowd here.




7. Bend It Like Beckham (2003) ~ co-starring Keira Knightley

The daughter of orthodox Sikh rebels against her parents' traditionalism by running off to Germany with a football team (soccer in America)

**My Commentary:

I think this was the very first movie I saw Keira Knightley in. She was pretty young and had a small role in this lil' British/Bollywood independent film that was popular when David Beckham himself was still the talk of the football/soccer world back in early 2000s. I noticed this movie because of that too, but this was a pretty good movie and very funny too. It also introduced me to Bollywood movies (which I love watching, hehe). Keira was pretty young and unknown here, but her character Juliet "Jules" Paxon was a scene stealer here and her scenes with her mother (played by the wonderful British veteran actress Juliet Stevenson, who played Mrs. Elton in the 1996 Emma film starring Gwyneth Paltrow) were hilarious esp. the wedding scene when her mother thought that she was a lesbian, lol. Definitely check out this movie for those hilarious scenes and you'll learn about the Indian culture too as they live in London and still maintain their roots and culture. Plus the handsome Jonathan Rhys Meyers was in this film too and you'll understand why the girls were fighting over him...or rather his character coach Joe...well, for one thing, he's easy on the eyes, lol.



8. Saved! (2004) ~ starring Jena Malone
 
When a girl attending a Christian high school becomes pregnant, she finds herself ostracized and demonized, as all of her former friends turn on her.




**My Commentary:
 


OMG! This movie was hilarious! LOL! I laughed a lot watching (and re-watching) this movie. Jena Malone played the lead character Mary here in her first major lead role as well as the narrator. She was pretty good in this movie. So funny too alongside Mandy Moore who was a scene stealer.

One of the best, smart, funniest teen flick I've seen. I think this was a lot better than Mean Girls especially with teens like Mary dealing with peer pressure and being an outsider... in a Christian school with a best friend like Hilary Faye, the "mean Christian girl," lol. The music was pretty good, great casting especially with Jena Malone as Mary, Mary-Louise Parker as Mary's mother Lillian (wow, they do look alike here as mother and daughter...great casting! *Read more of my FF mini review of this film here.

Watch Saved! movie here (via YouTubeMovies)




9. Heaven Is For Real (2014) ~ co-starring Kelly Reilly



Synopsis
Based on the #1 New York Times best-selling book of the same name, HEAVEN IS FOR REAL brings to the screen the true story of a small-town father who must find the courage and conviction to share his son's extraordinary, life-changing experience with the world. The film stars Academy Award (R) nominee and Emmy (R) award winning actor Greg Kinnear as Todd Burpo and co-stars Kelly Reilly as Sonja Burpo, the real-life couple whose son Colton (newcomer Connor Corum) claims to have visited Heaven during a near death experience. Colton recounts the details of his amazing journey with childlike innocence and speaks matter-of-factly about things that happened before his birth ... things he couldn't possibly know. Todd and his family are then challenged to examine the meaning from this remarkable event.

*My Review:

One of the few main reasons I went to see this movie was Kelly Reilly. I'm a fan of hers and her versatile acting since I first saw her in Pride & Prejudice (2005) film as Caroline Bingley (even though her character in that film was one of my less favorite, but she was great in the role and had memorable one-liners that I was quite impressed by her acting) and saw her in other films she was in like The Spanish Apartment trilogy, Sherlock Holmes 1 & 2  films (with Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law), and Eden Lake (with Michael Fassbender) to name a few. She was always good whether she's playing a good girl or bad girl kind of characters. Though she was often in small or supporting roles, but most of them were memorable and often she stole the spotlight in the films she appeared in, much more so than her co-stars with leading roles. I'm very glad she was cast in this movie as It was great to see her in a good supporting female lead role and she did not disappoint. Another reason was, it was not only a faith-based film, but it was also based on a true story that got me curious and more interested in seeing this film. And also, seeing the wonderful first trailer, got me even more interested and excited to seeing it...*Read my full Film Review: Heaven Is For Real



10. Barney's Version (2010) ~ co-starring Rosamund Pike


**My Commentary:

Barney’s Version was one of those rare, underrated indie films. I loved and enjoyed watching Rosamund Pike as Miriam Grant (Barney’s 3rd wife and true love) in this movie. She was really good here (pre-Gone Girl) with a lovely American accent and loved her dark brown hair do (even though it was probably a wig...she always looks great) and her character’s age  transformation (in a span of 30 years or so) from a young woman in her late 20s to a much older woman in her late 50s was quite impressive. Great movie with a great cast too! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Rosamund Pike!

Top 10 Favorite Pride & Prejudice Movie Quotes

P&P Movie Script