Pride & Prejudice References in Pop Culture (Part 5)
It's been a while since I've posted here a P&P reference or P&P/Darcy/Elizabeth mentioned in P&P inspired books or other non-P&P books, in movies, TV shows, magazines, reviews, or celebrities mentioning Pride and Prejudice /Jane Austen.
I thought I'd update and post here a more recent P&P References, from the most popular Jane Austen novel, the 1995 mini-series, P&P (2005) movie or any of the P&P characters (ie. Elizabeth & Darcy) that were referenced a lot in books, magazines, movies, TV shows, reviews, etc...
Here are a few newer ones of the many references I've compiled here to share with you all, which I've actually first posted here. If you have anything new to share that I haven't posted here. Feel free to comment and post here as well. I'd love to add them here or compile them in a new post. Thanks in advance.
Here are a few more in this part 5 of P&P novel, References in Pop Culture...
Gone Girl starring Rosamund Pike and Ben Affleck (Theater Release: October 3, 2014)
A Jane Austen/Pride & Prejudice reference...
Nick and Amy discussed briefly the Pride and Prejudice book in a library scene. Nick mentioned Elizabeth Bennet and said Jane Austen or Jane (a few times or so).
"You're an alienated teen and only ELIZABETH BENNET understood you." -Nick Dunne (to Rosamund Pike's Amy Elliot)
Also, Nick said the following quotes to Amy...
"Here, search JANE.....AUSTEN" (the "Jane" part could also be a reference to Jane Bennet, which Rosamund Pike played in P&P 2005 movie )
"God bless JANE AUSTEN."
Of course, Rosamund, who plays Amy, played Jane Bennet in the Pride & Prejudice (2005) film adaptation of the Austen's novel of the same title. If you're a P&P/Austen fan (like myself), you'll definitely notice the random and unexpected Austen/P&P references. I thought that was interesting and cool. Didn't expect that at all...Read my full Film Review: Gone Girl.
Season 5 - Episode 1
"You sound like Mrs. Bennet." (Violet Crawley)
P&P/Austen connection in Downton Abbey...
- Harriet Walters as Lady Shakeleton in Downton Abbey and as Fanny Dashwood in Sense and Sensibility (1995) film. Also, co-starred as Keira Knightley's mother in Atonement (2007) film as well as with Matthew Macfadyen in Little Dorrit (2008) TV Mini-series, and Rupert Friend in The Young Victoria (2009) film.
- Penelope Wilton as Isobel Crawley in Downton Abbey and as Mrs. Gardiner in Pride & Prejudice (2005) film. She and Maggie Smith and Judi Dench stars in the upcoming film, The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (2015) and The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (2011).
- Anna Chancelor as Dowager Lady Anstruther in Downton Abbey and as Caroline Bingley in Pride and Prejudice (1995) TV Mini-series. Also, she's a descendant to P&P author Jane Austen.
- Lily James as Lady Rose in Downton Abbey and as Elizabeth Bennet in Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (2015) film.
- Michelle Dockery (Lady Mary Crawley) and Thomas Howes (William Mason) co-starred in cameo roles with Keira Knightley and Matthew Macfadyen in Joe Wright's Anna Karenina (2012) and The Soloist (2009) films.
- Allen Leech (Tom Branson) co-starred with Keira Knightley and Matthew Goode (who played Mr. Wickham in Death Comes To Pemberley, who will be guest starring in Downton Abbey's upcoming Season 6) in The Imitation Game (2014) film.
Sleepy Hollow (Fox)
Season 2, Episode 4: Go Where I Send Thee…
"Yo, Pride and Prejudice! Mind not touching anything in there?" - Nick Hawley
Another P&P Connection: Tom Mison, who played Ichabod Crane in Sleepy Hollow played Mr. Bingley in ITV's Lost In Austen (2008) TV Miniseries.
Previous Related Posts
Previous Related Posts