Film Review: The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

I recently saw The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel film (starring , Maggie Smith, , Bill Nighy, Celia Imrie, Dev Patel, and Richard Gere) with my Mom and sister. I've seen the first one too with my mother (Read my full Film Review: The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel). I just posted my full Film Review: The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel in my other blog, In The Mood For Movies, where I post my general movie reviews (of the movies I've seen in theaters).

Read part of my film review of TSBEMH below...

 The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (2015)
starring Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, Bill Nighy, Dev Patel, 
Celia Imrie, Ronald Pickup, 
Diana Hardcastle, Richard Gere, and David Strathairn

Watch the trailer below...

 Synopsis for The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel:
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel 2 is the expansionist dream of Sonny (Dev Patel), and  it’s making more claims on his time than he has available, considering his imminent marriage to the love of his life, Sunaina (Tena Desae). Sonny has his eye on a promising property now that his first venture, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel for the Elderly and Beautiful, has only a single remaining vacancy – posing a rooming predicament for fresh arrivals Guy (Richard Gere) and Lavinia (Tamsin Greig). Evelyn and Douglas (Judi Dench and Bill Nighy) have now joined the Jaipur workforce, and are wondering where their regular dates for Chilla pancakes will lead, while Norman and Carol (Ronald Pickup and Diana Hardcastle) are negotiating the tricky waters of an exclusive relationship, as Madge (Celia Imrie) juggles two eligible and very wealthy suitors. Perhaps the only one who may know the answers is newly installed co-manager of the hotel, Muriel (Maggie Smith), the keeper of everyone’s secrets. As the demands of a traditional Indian wedding threaten to engulf them all, an unexpected way forward presents itself.
I thought this movie was as very good as the first one (probably even better) and even more funny (than the first) with more humorous one-liners. I remember a lot of memorable and random funny lines in this movie than the first one. Also, this second film, even if you didn't see the first one, works well by itself.

The great ensemble cast with Britain's finest and very talented vets such as familiar faces Judi Dench (as Evelyn), Maggie Smith (as Muriel), Penelope Wilton (as Jean), Bill Nighy (as Douglas), Celia Imrie (as Madge), Tena Desae (Sunaina), Lillete Dubey (Mrs. Kapoor), and Dev Patel (from Slumdog Millionaire...as Sonny) returned in this second equally wonderful film with new additions Richard Gere (as Guy), David Strathairm (Ty Burley), and Tamzin Greig (as Lavinia).

In this sequel to the first successful and surprise hit movie The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, which was based on the novel These Foolish Things by Deborah Moggach (screenwriter of Joe Wright's first feature film, Pride & Prejudice), Sonny has his eye on a promising property now that his first venture, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel for the Elderly and Beautiful, has only a single remaining vacancy – posing a rooming predicament for fresh arrivals Guy (Richard Gere) and Lavinia (Tamsin Greig).
Here are a few memorable (and hilarious) quotes from TSBEMH...
  • "If you like it. You should put a ring on it." -Madge
  • "Lord, have mercy on my ovaries." -Madge
  • "I couldn't resist the chance to come out and visit the old crumbling ruins and see how the hotel was doing." -Jean
  • "I'm sorry, did you say something?" -Muriel
    "I don't know why I tell you anything." -Evelyn 
Read my full Film Review: The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Rosamund Pike!

Top 10 Favorite Pride & Prejudice Movie Quotes

P&P Movie Script