Pride and Prejudice Quotes from Novel to Film (Chapter 3)

Continuing from my previous post, Chapter 1, skipping Chapter 2, as there were no similar quotes to compare and contrast from both book and movie...and moving right on to Chapter 3...


Pride and Prejudice - Chapter 3

Novel
 

"I would not be so fastidious as you are,'' cried Bingley, "for a kingdom! Upon my honour, I never met with so many pleasant girls in my life, as I have this evening; and there are several of them, you see, uncommonly pretty.''

"You are dancing with the only handsome girl in the room,'' said Mr. Darcy, looking at the eldest Miss Bennet.

"Oh! she is the most beautiful creature I ever beheld! But there is one of her sisters sitting down just behind you, who is very pretty, and I dare say very agreeable. Do let me ask my partner to introduce you.''

 "She is tolerable; but not handsome enough to tempt me; and I am in no humour at present to give consequence to young ladies who are slighted by other men. You had better return to your partner and enjoy her smiles, for you are wasting your time with me.''


"Oh! my dear Mr. Bennet,'' as she entered the room, "we have had a most delightful evening, a most excellent ball. I wish you had been there. Jane was so admired, nothing could be like it. Every body said how well she looked; and Mr. Bingley thought her quite beautiful, and danced with her twice. Only think of that my dear; he actually danced with her twice; and she was the only creature in the room that he asked a second time. First of all, he asked Miss Lucas. I was so vexed to see him stand up with her; but, however, he did not admire her at all: indeed, nobody can, you know; and he seemed quite struck with Jane as she was going down the dance. So, he inquired who she was, and got introduced, and asked her for the two next. Then, the two third he danced with Miss King, and the two fourth with Maria Lucas, and the two fifth with Jane again, and the two sixth with Lizzy, and the Boulanger --''

"If he had had any compassion for me,'' cried her husband impatiently, "he would not have danced half so much! For God's sake, say no more of his partners. Oh! that he had sprained his ankle in the first dance!''


Pride & Prejudice (2005)

Movie Script
"I've never seen so many pretty girls in my life." (Mr. Bingley)
"You were dancing with the only handsome girl in the room." (Mr. Darcy)
"She is the most beautiful creature I have ever beheld. But her sister, Elizabeth, is very agreeable." (Mr. Bingley)
"Perfectly tolerable, I dare say, but not handsome enough to tempt me. You'd better return to your partner and enjoy her smiles. You're wasting your time with me." (Mr. Darcy)


"And then he danced the third with Miss Lucas." (Mrs. Bennet)
"We were all there, dear." (Mr. Bennet)
"Oh, poor thing. It is a shame she's not more handsome. There's a spinster in the making and no mistake. The fourth, with a Miss King, of little standing, and the fifth, again with Jane." (Mrs. Bennet)

"If he'd had any compassion for me, he would have sprained his ankle in the first set." (Mr. Bennet)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Rosamund Pike!

Top 10 Favorite Pride & Prejudice Movie Quotes

P&P Movie Script