Pride and Prejudice Quotes from Novel to Film (Chapter 7)

Continuing from my previous posts (Chapters 1-6) and moving on to Chapter 7, which was about Mrs. Bennet telling Jane to go on horseback while she visits Miss Bingley at Netherfield instead of riding the carriage because she said that it'll rain that day and Jane will have to stay the night (with the Bingley's), exactly as she predicted. Of course, we all know it was actually Mrs. B's way of subtle trying to hook-up her beloved eldest daughter to Mr. Bingley, lol.

Okay, now, let's get to Chapter 7...

Pride and Prejudice - Chapter 7

Novel


"Well, Jane, who is it from? what is it about? what does he say? Well, Jane, make haste and tell us; make haste, my love.''

"It is from Miss Bingley,'' said Jane, and then read it aloud.

"Dining out,'' said Mrs. Bennet, ``that is very unlucky.''

"Can I have the carriage?'' said Jane.
"No, my dear, you had better go on horseback, because it seems likely to rain; and then you must stay all night.''
"That would be a good scheme,'' said Elizabeth, ``if you were sure that they would not offer to send her home.''
"Oh! but the gentlemen will have Mr. Bingley's chaise to go to Meryton; and the Hursts have no horses to theirs.''
"I had much rather go in the coach.''
"But, my dear, your father cannot spare the horses, I am sure. They are wanted in the farm, Mr. Bennet, are not they?''
"They are wanted in the farm much oftener than I can get them.''
"But if you have got them to-day,'' said Elizabeth, ``my mother's purpose will be answered.''

"My dearest Lizzy,
I FIND myself very unwell this morning, which, I suppose, is to be imputed to my getting wet through yesterday. My kind friends will not hear of my returning home till I am better. They insist also on my seeing Mr. Jones -- therefore do not be alarmed if you should hear of his having been to me -- and excepting a sore throat and head-ache, there is not much the matter with me.
Yours, &c.''
"Well, my dear,'' said Mr. Bennet, when Elizabeth had read the note aloud, "if your daughter should have a dangerous fit of illness, if she should die, it would be a comfort to know that it was all in pursuit of Mr. Bingley, and under your orders.''
"Oh! I am not at all afraid of her dying. People do not die of little trifling colds. She will be taken good care of. As long is she stays there, it is all very well. I would go and see her, if I could have the carriage.''

In Meryton they parted; the two youngest repaired to the lodgings of one of the officers' wives, and Elizabeth continued her walk alone, crossing field after field at a quick pace, jumping over stiles and springing over puddles with impatient activity, and finding herself at last within view of the house, with weary ankles, dirty stockings, and a face glowing with the warmth of exercise.

Pride & Prejudice (2005)
Movie Script


"A letter addressed to Miss Bennet, ma'am,from Netherfield Hall." (Betsey)
"Praise the Lord. We are saved." (Mrs. Bennet)
"Make haste, Jane, make haste. Oh, happy day." (Mrs. Bennet)
"It is from Caroline Bingley. She has invited me to dine with her. Her brother will be dining out." (Jane)
"Dining out?" (Mrs. Bennet)
"Can I take the carriage?" (Jane)
"Where? Let me see that." (Mrs. Bennet)
"It is too far to walk, Mama." (Jane)
"This is unaccountable of him. Dining out, indeed." (Mrs. Bennet
"Mama. The carriage? For Jane?" (Lizzie)
"Certainly not. She'll go on horseback." (Mrs. Bennet)
"Horeseback?!" (Jane and Lizzie)


"Now she'll have to stay the night. Exactly as I predicted." (Mrs. Bennet)
"Good grief, woman. Your skills in the art of matchmaking are positively occult." (Mr. Bennet) "Though I don't think, Mama, you can reasonably take credit for making it rain." (Lizzie)

"My kind friends will not hear of me returning home until I am better. Do not be alarmed. Excepting a sore throat, a fever, and a headache, there is nothing much wrong with me. This is ridiculous." (Lizzie)

"Well, if Jane does die, it will be a comfort to know it was in pursuit of Mr Bingley." (Mr. Bennet) "People do not die of colds." (Mrs. Bennet)
"Though she may well perish with the shame of having such a mother. I must go to Netherfield at once." (Lizzie)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Rosamund Pike!

Top 10 Favorite Pride & Prejudice Movie Quotes

P&P Movie Script