5 Best Scene Performances in other films by Pride & Prejudice's Bennet Sisters

These young and very talented actresses (Academy Award® Nominee Keira Knightley, British Independent Film Award winner Rosamund Pike, Young Artist Award Winner Jena Malone, Academy Award® Nominee and BAFTA winner Carey Mulligan, and Talulah Riley) who played the Bennet sisters brilliantly and quite convincingly in the 2005 Oscar and Golden Globe nominated film, Pride & Prejudice were, in my opinion, all great together as sisters and an outstanding ensemble cast in P&P as well as individually, in their own other films before, during, or after they co-starred in P&P movie. It's no wonder they are all successful nowadays in their own individual film careers (after Pride & Prejudice) and each have upcoming and new films (ie. Never Let Me Go, Wall Street: Money Never Sleep, Made In Dagenham, etc.) currently in theaters getting good reviews and doing so well.

Here are the video clips and memorable quotes from their films that I think each actress excelled in and were quite strong and impressive with their acting performances in a particular or rather dramatic scene in the following films (P&P included for KK, as I think this film was one of her few best performances I've seen her in and got her noticed for her acting ability as opposed to her previous films prior to P&P movie, where she mostly played either a small or supporting role).

Keira Knightley as Elizabeth Bennet 
The First Proposal scene

Elizabeth Bennet: "And I might as well inquire why, with so evident a design of insulting me, you chose to tell me that you liked me against your better judgment!"

"If I was uncivil, then that is some excuse. But I have other reasons, you know I have. Do you think that anything might tempt me to accept the man who has ruined, perhaps forever, the happiness of a most beloved sister? Do you deny it Mr. Darcy, that you separated a young couple who loved each other, exposing your friend to the censure of the world for caprice and my sister to its derision for disappointed hopes, and involving them both in misery of the acutest kind? How could you do it? Indifferent? But that's because she's shy!  Because you suggested it! My sister hardly shows her true feelings to me! I supposed you suspected his, his fortune had some bearing on the matter. What was? Did my sister give that impression? Our want of connection? Mr. Bingley didn't seem to vex himself about that! How sir?"

"And what about Mr. Wickham? What excuse can you give your, your behavior towards him.  He told me about his misfortunes. You ruin his chances and yet you treat him with sarcasm." 

"My pride? And those are the words of a gentleman? From the first moment I met you, your arrogance and conceit and your selfish disdain for the feelings of others made me realize that you are the last man in the world I could ever be prevailed upon to marry." 



[source: Gulapfull]

FYI: Keira Knightley was nominated for an Oscar (as well as a Golden Globe Nomination) for Best Actress (or Outstanding Actress in a leading role) for her iconic Elizabeth Bennet role in Pride & Prejudice (2005) film. Three more Academy Award® nominations for P&P movie: Best Achievement in Art Direction, Best Achievement in Costume Design, and Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Score.    

Also, KK as Georgiana (the duchess of Devonshire) in The Duchess and as Vera Phillips inThe Edge of Love.

Rosamund Pike as Elizabeth Wilmot (The Libertine)

The Coming Home To Die
scene

Elizabeth Malet Wilmot: "Leave us. LEAVE US!!! I am ever your last resort!!! When your mistress has kicked you into the streets and the last whore in Covent Garden refuses to attend to you...then, and only then, do you come to me! ... I don't want you to die! I want you to live and live differently!! Stop It!! Why? If it's good for you, it's not good for me too? Why, then do you pursue that path? When were you last a sober man? No, you're not, John, a rational man. Has not your intellect been widely phrased? So, this man of intellect, this rational man...knowing that five years of constant drinking have rendered his body feeble, and his spirit low. What would this man of intellect do? What would he do? Yes, he would desist! And those he loved, would they not show their love by beseeching him to desist? I've heard men say that the Devil is in you. If that be so, then I know how he made his entrance."


[source: TheJohannabarker]

Also, RP as Miranda Frost in Die Another Day  and as the lead Fanny Logan in "Masterpiece Theatre: Love in a Cold Climate".  


Jena Malone as Ruth Anne 'Bone' Boatwright

Ruth Anne 'Bone' Boatwright: "Sleepin...A picture...Daddy."

Watch young Jena's character Bone's emotional scene towards the end of the clip below...so sad! No lines or words needed...the look in her eyes and her emotions and tears said it all and was heartbreaking to watch at the same time. Poor young girl :( ...(FYI: Jena made this film when she was about 11 years old, which she won the Young Artist Award and was also nominated for Cable Ace, Young Star, Independent Spirit, SAG Awards, which made her the first youngest at 12 to be nominated for SAG (Screen Actors Guild) Award. This movie dealt with issues of child abuse, violence and sex. Jena has said in later interviews that this movie and her participation in it continue to influence her life substantially.)



Watch two more emotional and very sad scenes below...Jena was really great in this movie! Definitely, she's a vet when it comes to playing complex characters and scenes. She's brilliant in acting those dramatic, emotional, and very intense scenes that other young actresses or even older than her couldn't do. I must say, she's one of those rare, really good, very talented, versatile, and underrated young actresses. She was pretty good as the wild and annoying younger Bennet sister, Lydia Bennet too. Not too mention, the only American actress in the Bennet siblings and P&P cast who had to do a British accent...quite believable and impressive too.


[source: teegeezeethree]

Narrator: "Who had Mama been? What did she wanted to be or do before I was born? Once I was born her hopes turned and I climb up her life like a flower reachin' for the sun. Her life had folded into mine. Who would I be when I was 15, 20, 30. Would I be as strong as she had been? As hungry for love, as desperate, determined, and ashamed? I wouldn't know, but I was already who I was going to be someone like her, like my Mama. A Boatwright. A bastard. A bastard out of Carolina."

Bone: "I love you Mama."
Watch young Jena Malone in the Making of Bastard Out of Carolina (part 2)

Also, JM as Anna Harrison in Stepmom and as the lead role Mary in Saved!.


Carey Mulligan as Jenny (An Education)
He's Jewish scene

Jenny Millar: "We won't be getting married in a church. David's Jewish. And you're aware, I supposed, that our Lord was Jewish. Nobody does anything worth doing with a degree. No woman, anyway. Boring! Studying is hard and boring. Teaching is hard and boring. So, what you're telling me is to be bored and then bored...and finally bored again, but this time for the rest of my life? This whole stupid country is bored! There's no life in it or color or fun. It's probably just as well the Russians are going to drop a nuclear bomb on us any day now. So, my choice is to do something hard and boring, or to marry my Jew and go to Paris and Rome and listen to jazz, and read, and eat good food in nice restaurants and have fun. It's not enough to educate us anymore, Mrs. Walters. You've got to tell us why you're doing it? I don't wish to be impertinent Mrs. Walters, but it is an argument worth rehearsing. You never know someone else might want to know the point of it all one day."


[source: Hit Fix]

FYI: 3 Oscar Nominations for Carey and An Education...
An Education
Finola Dwyer/Wildgaze Films Production (Sony Pictures Classics)

  • Carey Mulligan – Performance by an Actress in a leading role
  • Best picture - Finola Dwyer and Amanda Posey, Producers
  • Adapted screenplay - Nick Hornby
Also, CM as Elsie Kipling in My Boy Jack (I think her performance here was even better and stronger than An Education, but unfortunately, I can't find any video clip to show here or the two other emotional scenes in An Education when she confronted her parents and her father saying sorry to her about David) and most recently in The Greatest as Rose (love Carey's American accent in this movie and she did great here) too.


Talulah Riley as Megan Hunter
(Agatha Christie's Marple: The Moving Finger)

Megan Hunter: "Stay with you? At your house? Oh, yes! Take me away. Please take me away! I was such a coward. I didn't know what a coward I was. It is so awful being here and feeling so weak. I don't know. I'm sorry, I'm being silly. You see, it's rather dreadful when your mother dies."

(part 4 of 10...watch below from when the clip started till 1:06...)
[source: missmarpleAC]
Watch Talulah Riley in Miss Marple - Moving Finger (Parts 1-10)

Also, TR as Annabelle Fritton in St. Trinian's and Marianne in Pirate Radio.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Rosamund Pike!

Top 10 Favorite Pride & Prejudice Movie Quotes

P&P Movie Script