Pride and Prejudice Quotes from Novel to Film (Chapter 16)

Okay, it's been a while since I posted about this here. So...continuing from my previous posts (Chapters 1-15) and moving right on to Chapter 16, which was about Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Wickham's conversations about Mr. Darcy (under the tree in the movie).

Read more here...

Pride and Prejudice 

Novel

Allowing for the common demands of the game, Mr. Wickham was therefore at leisure to talk to Elizabeth, and she was very willing to hear him, though what she chiefly wished to hear she could not hope to be told, the history of his acquaintance with Mr. Darcy. She dared not even mention that gentleman. Her curiosity however was unexpectedly relieved. Mr. Wickham began the subject himself. He inquired how far Netherfield was from Meryton; and, after receiving her answer, asked in an hesitating manner how long Mr. Darcy had been staying there.

"About a month,'' said Elizabeth; and then, unwilling to let the subject drop, added, "He is a man of very large property in Derbyshire, I understand.''

"Yes,'' replied Wickham; -- "his estate there is a noble one. A clear ten thousand per annum. You could not have met with a person more capable of giving you certain information on that head than myself -- for I have been connected with his family in a particular manner from my infancy.''
Elizabeth could not but look surprised.

"You may well be surprised, Miss Bennet, at such an assertion, after seeing, as you probably might, the very cold manner of our meeting yesterday. -- Are you much acquainted with Mr. Darcy?''

"As much as I ever wish to be,'' cried Elizabeth warmly, -- "I have spent four days in the same house with him, and I think him very disagreeable.''

``I have no right to give my opinion,'' said Wickham, "as to his being agreeable or otherwise. I am not qualified to form one. I have known him too long and too well to be a fair judge. It is impossible for me to be impartial. But I believe your opinion of him would in general astonish -- and perhaps you would not express it quite so strongly anywhere else. -- Here you are in your own family.''

"Upon my word I say no more here than I might say in any house in the neighbourhood, except Netherfield. He is not at all liked in Hertfordshire. Every body is disgusted with his pride. You will not find him more favourably spoken of by any one.''

"I cannot pretend to be sorry,'' said Wickham, after a short interruption, "that he or that any man should not be estimated beyond their deserts; but with him I believe it does not often happen. The world is blinded by his fortune and consequence, or frightened by his high and imposing manners, and sees him only as he chuses to be seen.''

"I should take him, even on my slight acquaintance, to be an ill-tempered man.'' Wickham only shook his head.

"I wonder,'' said he, at the next opportunity of speaking, "whether he is likely to be in this country much longer.''

"I do not at all know; but I heard nothing of his going away when I was at Netherfield. I hope your plans in favour of the ----shire will not be affected by his being in the neighbourhood.''

"Oh! no -- it is not for me to be driven away by Mr. Darcy. If he wishes to avoid seeing me, he must go. We are not on friendly terms, and it always gives me pain to meet him, but I have no reason for avoiding him but what I might proclaim to all the world; a sense of very great ill-usage, and most painful regrets at his being what he is. His father, Miss Bennet, the late Mr. Darcy, was one of the best men that ever breathed, and the truest friend I ever had; and I can never be in company with this Mr. Darcy without being grieved to the soul by a thousand tender recollections. His behaviour to myself has been scandalous; but I verily believe I could forgive him any thing and every thing, rather than his disappointing the hopes and disgracing the memory of his father.''

Elizabeth found the interest of the subject increase, and listened with all her heart; but the delicacy of it prevented farther inquiry.

Mr. Wickham began to speak on more general topics, Meryton, the neighbourhood, the society, appearing highly pleased with all that he had yet seen, and speaking of the latter especially, with gentle but very intelligible gallantry.

"It was the prospect of constant society, and good society,'' he added, "which was my chief inducement to enter the ----shire. I knew it to be a most respectable, agreeable corps, and my friend Denny tempted me farther by his account of their present quarters, and the very great attentions and excellent acquaintance Meryton had procured them. Society, I own, is necessary to me. I have been a disappointed man, and my spirits will not bear solitude. I must have employment and society. A military life is not what I was intended for, but circumstances have now made it eligible. The church ought to have been my profession -- I was brought up for the church, and I should at this time have been in possession of a most valuable living, had it pleased the gentleman we were speaking of just now.''

"Indeed!''

"Yes -- the late Mr. Darcy bequeathed me the next presentation of the best living in his gift. He was my godfather, and excessively attached to me. I cannot do justice to his kindness. He meant to provide for me amply, and thought he had done it; but when the living fell, it was given elsewhere.''

"Good heavens!'' cried Elizabeth; "but how could that be? -- How could his will be disregarded? -- Why did not you seek legal redress?''

"This is quite shocking! -- He deserves to be publicly disgraced."
"Some time or other he will be -- but it shall not be by me. Till I can forget his father, I can never defy or expose him.''

"But what,'' said she after a pause, "can have been his motive? -- what can have induced him to behave so cruelly?''

"A thorough, determined dislike of me -- a dislike which I cannot but attribute in some measure to jealousy. Had the late Mr. Darcy liked me less, his son might have borne with me better; but his father's uncommon attachment to me, irritated him I believe very early in life. He had not a temper to bear the sort of competition in which we stood -- the sort of preference which was often given me.''
"I had not thought Mr. Darcy so bad as this -- though I have never liked him, I had not thought so very ill of him -- I had supposed him to be despising his fellow-creatures in general, but did not suspect him of descending to such malicious revenge, such injustice, such inhumanity as this!''
After a few minutes reflection, however, she continued, ``I do remember his boasting one day, at Netherfield, of the implacability of his resentments, of his having an unforgiving temper. His disposition must be dreadful.''


Pride & Prejudice (2005)

Movie Script 

"Do you plan to go to the Netherfield ball, then, Mr Wickham?" (Elizabeth Bennet)

"Perhaps. How long has Mr. Darcy been a guest there?" (Mr. Wickham)

"About a month." (Elizabeth)

"Forgive me, but are you acquainted with him? With Mr Darcy?" (Elizabeth)
"Indeed. I've been connected with his family since infancy. You may well be surprised, Miss Elizabeth, especially given our cold greeting this afternoon." (Mr. Wickham)

"Well, I hope that your plans in favour of Meryton will not be affected by your relations with the gentleman." (Elizabeth)

 "Oh, no, it is not for me to be driven away. If he wishes to avoid seeing me, he must go,
not I." (Mr. Wickham)

"I must ask, Mr Wickham, what is the manner of your disapproval of Mr. Darcy?" (Elizabeth)

"My father managed his estate. We grew up together, Darcy and I. His father treated me like a second son. Loved me like a son. We were both with him the day he died. With his last breath, his father bequeathed me the rectory in his estate.  He knew I had my heart set on joining the church. But Darcy ignored his wishes and gave the living to another man." (Mr. Wickham)

"But why?" (Elizabeth)

"Jealousy. His father...Well, he loved me better and Darcy couldn't stand it." (Mr. Wickham)

"How cruel." (Elizabeth)

"So now, I'm a poor foot soldier, too lowly even to be noticed." (Mr. Wickham)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Rosamund Pike!

Top 10 Favorite Pride & Prejudice Movie Quotes

P&P Movie Script