Pride and Prejudice Quotes from Novel to Film (Chapter 8)

Continuing from my previous posts (Chapters 1-7) and moving on to Chapter 8, which was about Elizabeth & Darcy's fun banter at Netherfield with the Bingley (Charles and Caroline) siblings in the mix.
Pride and Prejudice - Chapter 8

Novel

"Yes, and her petticoat; I hope you saw her petticoat, six inches deep in mud, I am absolutely certain; and the gown which had been let down to hide it not doing its office.''
"It is amazing to me,'' said Bingley, "how young ladies can have patience to be so very accomplished as they all are.''
"All young ladies accomplished! My dear Charles, what do you mean?''
"Yes all of them, I think. They all paint tables, cover screens, and net purses. I scarcely know any one who cannot do all this, and I am sure I never heard a young lady spoken of for the first time, without being informed that she was very accomplished.''
"Your list of the common extent of accomplishments,'' said Darcy, "has too much truth. The word is applied to many a woman who deserves it no otherwise than by netting a purse, or covering a screen. But I am very far from agreeing with you in your estimation of ladies in general. I cannot boast of knowing more than half a dozen, in the whole range of my acquaintance, that are really accomplished.''
"Nor I, I am sure,'' said Miss Bingley.
"Then,'' observed Elizabeth, "you must comprehend a great deal in your idea of an accomplished women.''
"Yes; I do comprehend a great deal in it.''
"Oh! certainly,'' cried his faithful assistant, "no one can be really esteemed accomplished, who does not greatly surpass what is usually met with. A woman must have a thorough knowledge of music, singing, drawing, dancing, and the modern languages, to deserve the word; and besides all this, she must possess a certain something in her air and manner of walking, the tone of her voice, her address and expressions, or the word will be but half deserved.''
"All this she must possess,'' added Darcy, "and to all this she must yet add something more substantial, in the improvement of her mind by extensive reading.''
"I am no longer surprised at your knowing only six accomplished women. I rather wonder now at your knowing any.''
"Are you so severe upon your own sex, as to doubt the possibility of all this?''
"I never saw such a woman, I never saw such capacity, and taste, and application, and elegance, as you describe, united.''

Pride & Prejudice (2005) 

Movie Script
"Miss Elizabeth Bennet." (Netherfield Butler)
"Good Lord, Miss Elizabeth. Did you walk here?" (Caroline Bingley)
"I did." (Elizabeth)
"My goodness, did you see her hem? Six inches deep in mud. She looked positively medieval." (Caroline Bingley)
"Well, I think it's amazing you young ladies have the patience to be so accomplished." (Mr. Bingley)
"What do you mean, Charles?" (Caroline Bingley)
"You all paint tables and play the piano and embroider cushions. I never heard of a young lady but people say she is accomplished." (Mr. Bingley)
"The word is indeed applied too liberally. I cannot boast of knowing more than half a dozen women in all my acquaintance that are truly accomplished." (Mr. Darcy)
"Nor I, to be sure." (Caroline)
"Goodness. You must comprehend a great deal in the idea." (Lizzie)
"I do." (Mr. Darcy)
"Absolutely. She must have a thorough knowledge of music, singing, drawing, dancing and the modern languages, to deserve the word. And something in her air and manner of walking." (Caroline)
"And, of course, she must improve her mind by extensive reading." (Mr. Darcy)
"I'm no longer surprised at your knowing only six accomplished women. I rather wonder now at your knowing any." (Lizzie)
"Are you so severe on your own sex?" (Mr. Darcy)
"I never saw such a woman. She would certainly be a fearsome thing to behold." (Lizzie)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Rosamund Pike!

Top 10 Favorite Pride & Prejudice Movie Quotes

P&P Movie Script