Film Review: Gone Girl

I saw David Fincher's Gone Girl starring Rosamund Pike and Ben Affleck last Friday, on its opening day, and I just posted my full Film Review: Gone Girl in my other blog, In The Mood For Movies, where I post my general movie reviews (of the movies I've seen in theaters). This was one of my most anticipated films to see this year. It was worth the wait and worth watching too (at least for me). I highly recommend you see this especially if you want to see Rosamund in her first lead starring role in the current #1 movie in America right now. You will be mind-blown by her amazing performance as Amy Dunne in this movie. Go see it, if you can or get a chance, this weekend! It looks like it's going to top this weekend's domestic Box Office chart again for the second weekend in a row (but, of course, we'll find out tomorrow afternoon when BO results is released).

Read part of my Gone Girl film review below...

Gone Girl (2014)
starring Rosamund Pike, Ben Affleck, Neil Patrick Harris, Tyler Perry

Watch the trailer for Gone Girl 

Official synopsis for Gone Girl:
GONE GIRL – directed by David Fincher and based upon the global bestseller by Gillian Flynn – unearths the secrets at the heart of a modern marriage. On the occasion of his fifth wedding anniversary, Nick Dunne (Ben Affleck) reports that his beautiful wife, Amy (Rosamund Pike), has gone missing. Under pressure from the police and a growing media frenzy, Nick’s portrait of a blissful union begins to crumble. Soon his lies, deceits and strange behavior have everyone asking the same dark question: Did Nick Dunne kill his wife?
I saw Gone Girl on its opening day last Friday. I went to see it just before noon and the theater was already packed! I must say, I didn't know much about this movie (as I've purposely avoided spoilers) other than its brief synopsis and I've only seen the trailers and TV spots, so not to be spoiled by its plot and interesting twists and turns, and its interesting ending.

I haven't read the book either prior to seeing this movie, which I'm glad I didn't read it before seeing it because I wanted to see it on fresh eyes and in a new perspective without knowing a lot about the movie or spoiling myself. I love that when I was watching this movie I didn't know what's going on and what was going to happen next. The mystery of Amy's disappearance (at the beginning), the suspense, its dark tone, and haunting score got me on the edge of my seat!

The casting of this film was so great especially Rosamund Pike (who I first saw as the beautiful and good girl Jane Bennet in Pride & Prejudice 2005 film 9 years ago...oh, and surprisingly, there's a random P&P/Austen reference in this movie, which I'll mention in a bit...and had been following and seen her other TV and films ever since. She's always great whether she appears in a small or big supporting roles, but this movie is the first time she's playing a bigger part or starring role) in the title lead role as Amy Elliot Dunne. She was perfectly cast in the role, in my opinion. She totally transformed herself in the Amy Dunne character (if you've seen her so many times in P&P movie as Jane Bennet and got used to her as the good girl, after seeing her in this movie, you'll probably never see her in the same way again, lol...or you'll be surprise to see her in this completely different role as you've never seen her before!) also known as Amazing Amy. Miss Pike was A+Amazing. She was excellent as the crazy, delusional, or rather a psychopath and murderous Amy Dunne! She reminded me of Glenn Close's crazy, psychotic role in Fatal Attraction. Rosamund was so convincing and believable...she blew me away with her top notch acting in this film. She was always great in her other movies I saw her in, but on this one she brought her acting to a whole new level. She definitely deserves some acting awards in this challenging and complex role she played in GG. I loved her American accent here (including a southern accent) with her clear and husky voice-overs narrating her flashback and present scenes or when she was reading Amy's diary (especially when she said in one of the entries, "...Man of my dreams. Father of my child. This man of mine may kill me").

A Jane Austen/Pride & Prejudice reference...
Nick and Amy discussed briefly the Pride and Prejudice book in a library scene. I don't remember their exact dialogue in this scene, but I remember Nick (or was it Amy?) mentioned Elizabeth Bennet and said Jane Austen or Jane (a few times or so). 

I think it was mostly Nick who said the following lines (paraphrasing it here...not exact words) to Amy...
"Here, search Jane...Austen." 
"You're an alienated teen and only Elizabeth Bennet understood you." 
"God bless Jane Austen." 

Of course, Rosamund, who plays Amy, played Jane Bennet in the Pride & Prejudice (2005) film adaptation of the Austen's novel of the same title. If you're a P&P/Austen fan (like myself), you'll definitely notice the random and unexpected Austen/P&P references. I thought that was interesting and cool. Didn't expect that at all...Read my full Film Review: Gone Girl.

Comments

  1. he film's sense of savage, yet controlled, rage permeates director David Fincher's examination of a marriage that's gone so wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. t the end of the book I found myself breathing a sigh of relief that these characters were just fictional as I wouldn't turn my back to either of them. I didn't catch the movie when it came out, but I'm more than ready to see how it translated to the the screen.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts on this post here and more...

*You may Comment by using an Account, your Name, or by choosing Anonymous!*

Whatever you choose, I enjoy hearing from you! Thank you.

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Rosamund Pike!

Top 10 Favorite Pride & Prejudice Movie Quotes

P&P Movie Script