Pride & Prejudice (starring Keira Knightley and Matthew Macfadyen) and its 7 years of US Theater release celebration continues (after all, the 23rd of this month, which is this Friday, is its widest release!)...I thought I'd start a timeline (with a great help from KeiraWeb's P&P Promo Page and few other resources) listing all the important dates and events for P&P movie, from when it started and it was first announced back in 2004, up until its Blu-ray release date.Pride & Prejudice (2005) Timeline
- January 2004 - Working Title announces plans for a big screen version of Pride and Prejudice, the first since 1940. Joe Wright is confirmed as director, with the screenplay written by novelist
- April 27th, 2004 - Screen International announced Keira Knightley is in advanced negotiations to
star as Elizabeth Bennet in the Working Title production.
- June 8th, 2004 - Keira is confirmed in the role of Elizabeth Bennet.
- June 11th, 2004 - Matthew Macfadyen is announced as Mr. Darcy.
- July 14th, 2004 - Dame Judi Dench, Penelope Wilton, Donald Sutherland and Brenda Blethyn are confirmed as co-stars in the movie. A budget of $28 million is revealed.
- July 19th, 2004 - Principal photography begins at Burghley House, near Stamford in Lincolnshire. It will be seen as Rosings, the home of the De Bourghs. See more P&P Filming Locations here!
- August 15th, 2004 - Filming moves to Groombridge Place near Tunbridge Wells in Kent, which will be seen as the Bennets' home, Longbourn.
- August 23rd, 2004 - Filming takes place at Wilton House near Salisbury, to be seen as the interior of Pemberley - (This was the location for Colin Firth's famous wet shirt/lake scene in the 1995 BBC production). Stourhead Gardens and Martin Down were other places utilized while in Wiltshire.
- August 31st, 2004 - Filming returns to Burghley House, and its local town of Stamford, with hundreds of locals used as extras. This will be seen as the village of Meryton in the movie.
- September 8th, 2004. The cast and crew film Netherfield scenes at Basildon Park in Berkshire. The West Front, dining room and Octagon Drawing Room will be featured in the movie.
- September 13th, 2004 - Keira is confirmed to play Domino Harvey in Domino, which starts filming in early October. Her hair is cut short in preparation for the role, and the remaining scenes as Lizzie sees her sporting a wig. See which stills from the movie shows her short wig here and here. (via the lovely Pemberley State of Mind on Tumblr)
- September 27th, 2004 - Filming concludes at Chatsworth House in Derbyshire. The exterior shots of Pemberley were filmed here, and the grand staircase and Sculpture Gallery will also be seen. While in Derbyshire, dramatic clifftop scenes were filmed with Keira in the Peak District National Park.
- October 8th, 2004 - Filming wraps on the movie, as early release date speculation suggest September 2005 ( for UK Cinema release).
- June 1, 2005 - The full trailer for Pride & Prejudice film was released by Working Title.
- June 4, 2005 - The official website (unfortunately, the exquisite old official website no longer exists, it now directs you to Univeral Studios Entertainment site) for Pride & Prejudice film goes LIVE.
- July 25, 2005 - Keira Knightley attended the Hamburg (Germany) Special Screening of Pride & Prejudice
- July 26, 2005 - Keira Knightley attended the Amsterdam (Netherlands) Special Screening of Pride & Prejudice
September 1, 2005 - Matthew Macfadyen, Jena Malone, Rosamund Pike, and director Joe Wright attended the Dublin (Ireland) Special Screening of Pride & Prejudice
- September 5, 2005 - Pride & Prejudice cast (Keira Knightley, Matthew Macfadyen, Brenda Blethyn, Donald Sutherland, Rosamund Pike, Simon Woods, Jena Malone, Carey Mulligan, Talulah Riley, Kelly Reilly, Tom Hollander, and Claudie Blakley) and director Joe Wright attended the London Premiere Pride & Prejudice.
- Sept. 10-12, 2005 - Keira Knightley, Matthew Macfadyen, Brenda Blethyn, Rosamund Pike, and director Joe Wright attended the TIFF 2005 premiere - September 11th (as well as press conference and portrait session) of Pride & Prejudice.
- September 16, 2005 - Pride & Prejudice opens in UK Cinemas, where it debuted at #1 with £2,529,947 (on 397 screens).
- September 19, 2005 - Pride & Prejudice Original Motion Picture Soundtrack released in the UK on Decca Records. The soundtrack features an original score by Italian-born composer Dario Marianelli (The Brother's Grimm) with performances by Decca artist and French pianist Jean-Yves Thibaudet
- November 10, 2005 - Keira Knightley, Matthew Macfadyen, Rosamund Pike, Donald Sutherland, Tom Hollander, Simon Woods, and director Joe Wright attended the New York City Premiere of Pride & Prejudice
- November 11, 2005 - Pride & Prejudice opens in select US theaters (Limited Opening Weekend: $2,865,017 [#10 rank, 215 theaters, $13,325 average] | source: Box Office Mojo)
- November 15, 2005 - Pride & Prejudice Original Motion Picture Soundtrack released in the U.S. on Decca Records. The soundtrack features an original score by Italian-born composer Dario Marianelli (The Brother's Grimm) with performances by Decca artist and French pianist Jean-Yves Thibaudet
- November 23, 2005 - Pride & Prejudice expanded in more US theaters! (Wide Opening Weekend: $7,158,119 [#7 rank, 1,299 theaters, $5,510 average ] | Widest Release: 1,335 theaters | source: Box Office Mojo)
- December 13, 2005 - Keira Knightley received a Best Actress Nomination for her performance of Elizabeth Bennet in Pride & Prejudice at the Golden Globe Awards. Pride & Prejudice is also nominated for Best Motion Picture: Musical
Read related article: Pride & Prejudice wins Golden Globe nominations (via Working Title Films)
- January 16, 2006 - Best Actress nominee Keira Knightley attended the Golden Globe Awards. Though she didn't win (Reese Witherspoon won for Walk The Line)...she received plenty of TV coverage and phrases for the Valentino dress she wore that night on the red carpet and award show.
- January 19, 2006 - To everyone's surprise, Keira Knightley was not nominated for Best Actress at 2006 BAFTA. After a strong showing in the first two preliminary rounds of
voting, she failed to make the final five. However, Pride & Prejudice
is up for six award nominations, including Best Supporting Actress for Brenda Blethyn,
Best Director for Joe Wright, Best Screenplay for Deborah Moggach
and Outstanding British Film. The awards will be held at the Odeon
cinema in London's Leicester Square on February 19th.
Read related article: Pride & Prejudice wins six Bafta nominations
- January 31, 2006 - Keira Knightley received her very first Oscar Nomination for Best Actress in a Leading Role for her Elizabeth Bennet role in Pride & Prejudice film. Read this article of her reaction: Keira Knightley gets nominated for Best Actress Oscar ...
Also, the P&P film scored a total of 4 Academy Award nominations in the following categories:
Pride & Prejudice nominated for 4 Academy Awards (via Working Title Films)
Best Actress - Keira Knightley
Original Score - Dario Marianelli
Art Direction - Sarah Greenwood (art direction); Katie Spencer (set decoration)
Costume Design - Jacqueline Durran
- February 6, 2006 - Pride & Prejudice's UK DVD release date (previously to be released March 14th, but was released early due to the film's success on scoring 4 Oscar Nominations).
- February 19, 2006 - Of its six nominations, Pride & Prejudice won one award at the BAFTAs. Joe Wright won 'The Carl Foreman Award for special achievement by a British Director/Producer or Writer in their first feature film'. He paid tribute to Keira, gave a dig to BAFTA for not nominating her, and wished her well for the Oscars. Keira did not attend.
- February 28, 2006 - Pride & Prejudice DVD's US release date (Universal)
- March 5, 2006 - Oscar Nominee Keira Knightley attended the 78th Annual Academy Awards in Los Angeles' Kodak Theatre. Unfortunately, she lost to Reese Witherspoon, once again, but she got plenty of TV coverage most especially for her stunningly gorgeous dress (see pic below) was one of the most talked about fashionable dresses of the night...The burgundy silk-taffeta one-shoulder gown with a vintage 1960's Bulgari necklace, which was custom-made for the 21-year-old actress and designed by Vera Wang and was later donated to Oxfam by Knightley. And Keira's Oscar dress raises $7,900 for Oxfam's East Africa appeal
- January 26, 2010 - Universal released Pride & Prejudice on Blu-ray!