Anyway, the 4-time Academy Award (as well as 2-time Golden Globe and 6-time BAFTA) nominated 2005 film, Pride & Prejudice starring Academy Award nominee Keira Knightley and Matthew Macfadyen began filming seven years ago last month (July 19th) and during this month (see P&P timeline below). The film was directed by Joe Wright and shot entirely on location in the UK, including Derbyshire, Wiltshire, Lincolnshire, and Kent. The P&P cast and crew spent their most fun and "happiest" summer (3 months!) filming the movie from July through October 2004.
(source: Focus Features)
"Love Ros, Love Carey and Jena, and Talulah. And it's been lovely kinda having this very girly family. But then, you've got Brenda and Donald in the middle of it." (Keira Knightley)
"Glorious. Donald and Brenda and all of the girls. What a lovely family." (Matthew Macfadyen)
"Well, I have to tell you. It was lovely to be here." (Donald Sutherland)
"So, I don't know. I don't think I could pick my favorite person to work with as they're all so amazing. And I know everyone always says that, but you do go, 'No, this is such a special group of people.'" (Keira Knightley)
"Normally, before I'm in the scene I'm in the corner and I'm kinda going..." (Simon Woods)
"And I love it when we're a family unit rather than...I mean, we've been sort of split up in various things...but when we are presented as the Bennets. And that scene when we go to Netherfield...And it's a Miss Bennet, a Miss Bennet, a Miss Bennet, and a Mrs. Bennet. And it's like we're all together." (Carey Mulligan)
"The most incredible thing has been seeing people like Carey Mulligan and Talulah Riley and whose first job this is and how they've taken it like ducks to water, you know, and how excited they've been." (Keira Knightley)
"We were all very, very nice to each other at the beginning and suddenly, you know, we've started to sort of have real dynamics as well as sort of the character dynamics." (Rosamund Pike)
"Judi Dench, I adored watching. I was sitting there at that dinner table in Rosings and think, this is great." (Matthew Macfadyen)
"Some of the highlights are the things I wasn't even in and just standing and watching the others and seeing how beautiful it's looking." (Brenda Blethyn)
"I've just had a wonderful summer with this family. The little family of the Bennets and the bigger family of the whole crew." (Rosamund Pike)
"I've loved every minute of this film." (Brenda Blethyn)
Also, from HBO's First Look: Pride & Prejudice:
"Joe brought us all down on a day when everything was immaculate. There was no equipment. Everything was dressed. It really is...It was enchanting. Really enchanting." (Rosamund Pike)
"We were allowed to do exactly what we wanted...and shout and scream and anything. It just worked. We just gelled completely in a way that none of us could have imagined." (Keira Knightley)
From Keira Knightley's P&P Promotional Video Interview...
Did you enjoy working on location in the British countryside?
Did you bond with the other Bennet sisters?
Behind The Scenes: Conversations with the Pride & Prejudice Cast
More Carey Mulligan Interviews
P&P '05 Diaries (Video Clips links)
Reposting this here... Also, here's an interesting timeline (from KeiraWeb's P&P Promotional Page) to when it all started back in 2004...
Pride & Prejudice (2005) Timeline
- 2004 - January. Working Title announce plans for a big screen version of Pride and Prejudice, the first since 1940. Joe Wright is confirmed as director, with the screenplay written by novelist Deborah Moggach.
- April 27th - Screen International announce Keira Knightley is in advanced negotiations to star as Elizabeth Bennet in the Working Title production.
- June 8th - Keira is confirmed in the role of Elizabeth Bennet.
- June 11th - Matthew MacFadyen is announced as Mr. Darcy.
- July 14th. Dame Judi Dench, Penelope Wilton, Donald Sutherland and Brenda Blethyn are confirmed as co-stars in the movie. A budget of $28million is revealed.
- July 19th - Principal photography begins at Burghley House, near Stamford in Lincolnshire. It will be seen as Rosings, the home of the De Bourghs.
- August 15th - Filming moves to Groombridge Place near Tunbridge Wells in Kent, which will be seen as the Bennets' home, Longbourn.
- August 23rd - Filming takes place at Wilton House near Salisbury, to be seen as the interior of Pemberley - (This was the location for Colin Firth's famous wet shirt scene in the 1995 BBC production). Stourhead Gardens and Martin Down were other places utilized while in Wiltshire.
- August 31st - Filming returns to Burghley House, and its local town of Stamford, with hundreds of locals used as extras. This will be seen as the village of Meryton in the movie.
- September 8th. The cast and crew film Netherfield scenes at Basildon Park in Berkshire. The West Front, dining room and Octagon Drawing Room will be featured in the movie.
- September 13th - Keira is confirmed to play Domino Harvey in Domino, which starts filming in early October. Her hair is cut short in preparation for the role, and the remaining scenes as Lizzie see her sporting a wig.
- September 27th - Filming concludes at Chatsworth House in Derbyshire. The exterior shots of Pemberley were filmed here, and the grand staircase and Sculpture Gallery will also be seen. While in Derbyshire, dramatic clifftop scenes were filmed with Keira in the Peak District National Park.
- October 8th - Filming wraps on the movie, as early release date speculation suggest September 2005.
Check out and view the following...
P&P (locations and behind the scenes) Photo albums
|P&P Behind The Scenes|
|Pride & Prejudice Diaries|