Pride and Prejudice (2010): Meet the next Bennet Girls - The Interviews


Here are my mini-interviews of the 4 young and newcomer actresses who will be playing the next modern Bennet sisters in the upcoming modern adaptation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice (2010). The girls were amazing enough to let me do a lil' Q&As/interviews with them as well as them sending and providing me new photos of themselves here. Thanks a lot girls (, , , and )! I've asked them about their reactions to getting their individual roles (as one of the Bennet girls) for this film, their favorite P&P adaptations, favorite Jane Austen novels/film adaptations, etc.

As most of you already know, I've already done an interview with their Bennet sister/co-star last month, you can read my Q&A with her in the link below...I do have new photos of Maia to share with you all here. She was wonderful enough to send me new ones. Thanks Maia! :)


Maia Petee (Elizabeth Bennet)
(photos by Allen Birnbach of Allen Birnbach Photography and Maia Petee)

Read my
Q&A with Maia Petee (Elizabeth Bennet) 


Meet the next Bennet Girls - The Interviews

Christina LaFon (Jane Bennet)
(photos by Christina LaFon)

Jeane: What was your reaction when you first find out you got the part of Jane Bennet?

Christina LaFon: When I saw the cast list on Twitter, Bonnie had already posted nearly all the parts. Reading from the top down, I didn't see myself anywhere. So when I reached the bottom and saw my name right next to Maia's and Caleb's, I couldn't believe it! I woke my whole household up to tell them.

J: How did you hear about the casting of this film and audition for this role?
CL: I first saw the audition notice on Craigslist. It was kind of like a dream, because usually these kinds of films don't happen in Colorado, or they go straight to Union or represented talent.


J: Is this your first feature film or have you done one before?
CL: This is my first.

J: Have you seen any or at least one of the previous Pride and Prejudice adaptations? If so, which one is your favorite and why?

CL: I saw the one with Keira Knightley and Matthew MacFadyen. I was reluctant to see it at first because I thought it wouldn't fit with my original vision of the characters from the book, but the film was so well done, I changed my mind by the end!

J: Besides P&P movie, have you read/seen any (or at least one) of Jane Austen TV/Film adaptations? If so, which one is your favorite and why?

CL: I own Sense and Sensibility. I'm a huge fan of Emma Thompson and she does such an amazing job with the film, acting in it, and adapting it to screenplay as well. She's a huge inspiration to me- and her character in S+S, Elinor, has often been compared to Jane from P+P.


Ashley Douglas (Mary Bennet)
(photos by Ashley Douglas)

Jeane: What was your reaction when you first find out you got the part of Mary Bennet?

Ashley Douglas: Honestly I was kind of surprised! Since I don't have much experience in the film industry yet. But after the initial shock of finding my name, there was an explosion of excitement and giddiness! (i.e. lot's of smiling dancing and jumping around.) Being apart of the film industry has been my dream for quite sometime now. So, in all seriousness, I am greatly honored and privileged to be apart of this project.

J: How did you hear about the casting of this film and audition for this role?
AD: I check craigslist every once in awhile for acting and modeling jobs. I hadn't been on there for a while, so I was curious and low and behold there was the Pride and Prejudice post! Which, of course, I wrote Bonnie right away after reading it and getting super excited.

J: Is this your first feature film or have you done one before?
AD: This is my first. I've been in a few smaller productions and a couple theater projects, as well as some modeling. Like I said earlier to be involved in film is my dream so hopefully there will be more after this!

J: Have you seen any or at least one of the previous Pride and Prejudice adaptations? If so, which one is your favorite and why?
AD: I have seen both the 1995 and 2005 adaptations... it's such a hard choice because they're both amazing in their own ways! If I had to pick one though it would probably be the 2005 version. I loved Keira Knightly as Lizzy B and they all did such a good job for only having 2 hrs.

J: Besides P&P movie, have you read/seen any (or at least one) of Jane Austen TV/Film adaptations? If so, which one is your favorite and why?
AD: I've tried reading a couple of the books but I just couldn't really get into them cause I'm not much of a reader. In all honesty, I can only read certain books. But I have seen Sense and Sensibility, Mansfield Park, Persuasion and Emma. Of course, Pride and Prejudice is my all-time favorite and I don't think it's right to say until I've seen them all, but for now I would have to say Mansfield Park is my 2nd favorite.

Fanny Price is undoubtedly one of Austen's less assertive characters, although she does mature into a woman who knows what she wants and will accept no less. I loved Fanny and her honesty, the little girl who fears the stars in her eyes and still manages to grow up into a respectable - and respected - woman. Her complexities are subtle and understated, making the you work at times to understand her motivation, although anyone who has felt like an outcast even once, or anyone who respects honesty, will identify with her. In true Austen fashion, the observations are witty, with pointed social analysis and cynicism dressed up in sly humor. Fanny's aunts in particular are skewered, but no one, not even Fanny, is spared.


If all the Austen books were sisters, Mansfield Park would be the quiet, pensively courageous sibling of the six. Pride and Prejudice, Emma, Sense and Sensibility, and Persuasion all seem to glow like ladies at a ball. (I hear Northanger Abbey would, be the sister who plays piano and can't really sing...although she tries...)


Christina Rizzo (Kitty Bennet)
(photos by Silke Howarth and Christina Rizzo) 

Jeane: What was your reaction when you first find out you got the part of Kitty Bennet?
Christina Rizzo: Well, when I first found out. I was in complete shock. My grandma was visiting from Phoenix, Arizona. So, it was only her and I in the house. I got the email, started reading it, and literally screamed. I was pinching myself to see if that was true. Sounds so little kiddish. But I was excited.

J: How did you hear about the casting of this film and audition for this role?
CR: I actually found the ad on craigslist. I've never heard that before, I was looking for theater production. Then it said Pride and Prejudice. I thought I would give it a shot.

J: Is this your first feature film or have you done one before?

CR: This is my first feature film. I have never been in the film industry. I've only started with theater and being in drama class. 

J: Have you seen any or at least one of the previous Pride and Prejudice adaptations? If so, which one is your favorite and why?
CR:
The Pride and Prejudice adaptations that I've seen is the one that, I think, is 5 hours or so (at least it seems like it). Also, of course, the big one, the one with Keira Knightley in it. She's one of my favorite actresses. So, it was filling a dream of being in a movie that she has done.

J: Besides P&P movie, have you read/seen any (or at least one) of Jane Austen TV/Film adaptations? If so, which one is your favorite and why?
CR: Right now I'm reading P&P book for the first time. But I have seen Sense and Sensibility, Persuasion, and Emma. Oh, that's a hard one. They're all so great. (I bet all the girls are saying that, but it's so true). Well, I would have to say, Sense and Sensibility. The story line, characters, plots, basically, everything is just wonderful.    

Shannon Urban (Lydia Bennet)
(photos by Shannon Urban)

Jeane: What was your reaction when you first find out you got the part of Lydia Bennet? 
Shannon Urban: It was a combination of surprise and excitement. Director Bonnie had so many great plans for this film. I knew I just had to be a part of it.  Being too young for the lead roles, I really wanted to be cast for Lydia. I knew she had auditioned a lot of talent, so I couldn't stop smiling :] 

J: How did you hear about the casting of this film and audition for this role?
 
SU: My mom and I search Craiglist all the time for auditions. We sent off my resume and picture and were surprised to hear back from Bonnie. I had already worked with her before on her short film "Three Rings." 

J: Is this your first feature film or have you done one before?
 
SU: This is my first feature film. I've done 4 other short independent films that have won at festivals, though.  I've done theatre since I was 8. 

J: Have you seen any or at least one of the previous Pride and Prejudice adaptations? If so, which one is your favorite and why?
SU: I've seen the 2005 version with Keira. I absolutely love the plot. And, I am a huge Keira Knightley fan and I thought she gave a phenomenal performance.


J: Besides P&P movie, have you read/seen any (or at least one) of Jane Austen TV/Film adaptations? If so, which one is your favorite and why?
 
SU: I haven't, but I'm currently reading Pride and Prejudice, so I understand her version of Lydia.

Pride and Prejudice (2010) will start filming in June in Colorado (USA) and is slated for a  December 2010 release date! For all P&P 2010 news and updates, check out the extra page: Pride and Prejudice (2010).

Thanks everyone for taking the time to read this. Hope you enjoyed reading the Bennet Girls' interviews. THANK YOU so much (once again) to the Bennet Girls themselves: Christina LaFon, Maia Petee, Ashley Douglas, Christina Rizzo, and Shannon Urban for letting me interview all of you here and for the permission to use your photos. Best of luck to all of you on your P&P movie! :)

Speaking of the Bennet Girls (and P&P 2010 film...more updates to come!)...

Stay tune for the following upcoming blog posts (coming soon!)...
  • Then & Now: The Many Faces of The Bennet Sisters (photos of all the Bennet girls from 1940 to 2010!)
  • Promo Photos of the Bennet Girls (as well as promo photos of Maia Petee and Caleb Grusing as Elizabeth & Darcy and other cast reading photos for 2010 P&P film) 
  • More P&P location photos (from P&P 2010 film)
  • The Next P&P Men Photos and Interviews (from P&P 2010 film) 

Comments

  1. Can't Wait...Love the Cast especially Mr. Darcy ohhh lalalala!!!!

    Wrap him up, put him and a stick and give him to me to lick pleazzzzzzzeeee!!!!

    I love anything Austen!!!!

    Ohhh and Maia looks like that girl Anna Sophia Rob with those big brown eyes!! She is beautiful!!! Can't wait to see her as Elizabeth Bennet!!!

    Stacie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Michelle and Stacie for reading and your comments. I appreciate them. Glad you love the cast and enjoyed reading their interviews.

    Btw, I'll have the P&P Men interviews up here very soon. The other guys are good looking too, hehe! So keep checking this blog for more P&P 2010 movie news and updates. :)

    Stacie - LOL, love your comments esp. on Caleb Grusing/Darcy, haha! I showed him your comments about him and he said, "thank you and that he was flattered...and likes you too." :)

    Aww, I'll have to show Maia your very nice comments here. I'm sure she'll appreciate it. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts on this post here and more...

*You may Comment by using an Account, your Name, or by choosing Anonymous!*

Whatever you choose, I enjoy hearing from you! Thank you.

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Rosamund Pike!

Top 10 Favorite Pride & Prejudice Movie Quotes

P&P Movie Script