Memorable Quotes from Pride & Prejudice (2005)

Compiled here are random and memorable quotes from P&P '05 film...

Elizabeth Bennet: Now if every man in the room does not end the evening in love with you then I am no judge of beauty.
Jane Bennet: [giggles] Or men.
Elizabeth Bennet: [laughs brightly] No, they are far too easy to judge.
Jane Bennet: They're not all bad.
Elizabeth Bennet: Humorless poppycocks, in my limited experience.
Jane Bennet: One of these days, Lizzie, someone will catch your eye and then you'll have to watch your tongue.


  ~*~

Elizabeth Bennet:
"So which of the painted peacocks is our Mr Bingley?"
Charlotte Lucas:
He is on the right, and on the left is his sister.
Elizabeth Bennet:
"And the person with the quizzical brow?"
Charlotte Lucas: "That is his good friend Mr. Darcy."
Elizabeth Bennet: "
He looks miserabIe, poor soul."
Charlotte Lucas: "
MiserabIe he may be, but poor he most certainly is not."
Elizabeth Bennet: "Tell me."
Charlotte Lucas:
"Ten thousand a year and he owns half of Derbyshire."
Elizabeth Bennet:
"The miserable half?"
Elizabeth Bennet:
"Do you dance, Mr. Darcy?"
Mr. Darcy: "Not if I can help it."

Mr. Darcy:
So what do you recommend to encourage affection?
Elizabeth Bennet: Dancing. Even if one's partner is barely tolerable.
Mr. Bingley:
But her sister Elizabeth is very agreeable.
Mr. Darcy: Perfectly tolerable, I dare say. But not handsome enough to tempt me. You'd better return to your partner and enjoy her smiles. You're wasting your time with me.


Charlotte Lucas: Count your blessings Lizzie. If he liked you, you'd have to talk to him.

Elizabeth Bennet:
Precisely. As it is I wouldn't dance with him for all of Darbyshire, let alone the miserable half.

Mr. Darcy:
May I have the next dance, Miss Elizabeth?
Elizabeth Bennet: You may.

Elizabeth Bennet:
"Did I just agree to dance with Mr Darcy?"
Charlotte Lucas: I dare say you will find him amiable.
Elizabeth Bennet:
It would be most inconvenient since I have sworn to loathe him for all eternity. [both laugh]
Mr. Darcy: Do you talk, as a rule, while dancing?
Elizabeth Bennet: No... No, I prefer to be unsociable and taciturn... Makes it all so much more enjoyable, don't you think?

Elizabeth Bennet: "Clearly my family is having a competition to see who can expose themselves to the most redicule."

Elizabeth Bennet [about Jane]: "But she's just shy and modest."

Caroline Bingley: "Can't help feeling that at any point this evening someone's gonna produce a piglet and make us chase it."

~*~

Jane Bennet:
"How do you like it here in Hertfordshire, Mr Bingley?"
Elizabeth Bennet:
And that put paid to it. I wonder who first discoverd the power of poetry in driving away love?

Mr. Darcy:
"I thought that poetry was the food of love."
Mr. Darcy: "So what do you recommend, to encourage affection?"
Elizabeth Bennet: "Dancing. Even if one's partner is barely tolerable."
Caroline Bingley:
" Absolutely. She must have a thorough knowledge of music, singing, drawing, dancing and the modern languages, to deserve the word. And something in her air and manner of walking."
Mr. Darcy:
"Either you are in each other's confidence and have secret affairs to discuss, or you are conscious that your figures appear to the greatest advantage by walking. If the first, I should get in your way. If the second, I can admire you much better from here."

~*~

Mr. Darcy:
"Miss Elizabeth... I'm a guest here."
Elizabeth Bennet:
You mean to frighten me, Mr. Darcy, by coming in all your state to hear me, but I won't be alarmed even if your sister does play so well.

Mr. Darcy:
"I am well enough acquainted with you, Miss Bennet, to know I cannot alarm you even should I wish it."

Mr. Darcy:
"I do not have the talent of conversing easily with people I have never met before."
Elizabeth Bennet: "Perhaps you should take your Aunt's advice and practice."


~*~

Caroline Bingley: Miss Elizabeth, let us take a turn about the room.
[Caroline takes Lizzy's arm in hers, and they walk gracefully in a circle around the room]
Caroline Bingley:
It's refreshing, is it not after sitting so long in one attitude?
Elizabeth Bennet: And it is a small kind of accomplishment, I suppose.
Caroline Bingley: Will you not join us, Mr. Darcy?
Mr. Darcy:
You can only have two motives, Caroline and I would interfere with either.
Caroline Bennet: What can he mean?
Elizabeth Bennet: Our surest way of disappointing him will be to ask him nothing about it.
Caroline Bennet: But Do tell us, Mr. Darcy.
Mr. Darcy: Either you are in each other's confidence and have secret affairs to discuss, or you are conscious that your figures appear to the greatest advantage by walking. If the first, I should get in your way. If the second, I can admire you much better from here.
Elizabeth Bennet: Are you too proud, Mr. Darcy? And would you consider pride a fault or a virtue?
Mr. Darcy: "That I couldn't say."
Elizabeth Bennet: Because we're doing our best to find a fault in you.

Mr. Darcy:
Maybe it's that I find it hard to forgive the follies and vices of others, or their offenses against me. My good opinion, once lost, is lost forever.
Elizabeth Bennet: Oh, dear, I cannot tease you about that. What a shame, for I dearly love to laugh.
Caroline Bingley: A family trait, I think.

Mr. Bingley:
"It's amazing, how young ladies have the patience to be so accomplished."

Mr. Bingley: "They all paint tables, and embroider cushions and play the piano. I never heard of a young lady, but people say she is accomplished."


~*~

Elizabeth Bennet:
"I could easily forgive his vanity had he not wounded mine."
Elizabeth Bennet [to Mr. Collins]: "Sir! I am not the sort of female to torment a respectable man. Please understand me - I cannot accept you!"

Elizabeth Bennet:
"Mr Collins, I am perfectly serious. You could not make happy and I'm convinced I'm the last woman in the world who could make you happy."
Elizabeth Bennet: "Oh. I didn't think you danced, Mr Collins."


~*~

Mr. Collins: "Mr. Collins, at your service."
Mrs. Bennet: "But Miss Lizzie next to her in both age and beauty would make anyone an excellent partner. Do not you agree, Mr Collins?"

~*~

Mrs. Bennet: "Now, she'll have to stay the night. Exactly as I predicted."
Mr. Bennet: "
Good grief, woman. Your skills in the art of matchmaking are positively occult."
Lizzie:
"Though I don't think, Mama, you can reasonably take credit for making it rain."


~*~

Mrs. Bennet: "Oh, yes. Certainly. Lizzie will be very happy indeed. Everyone, out. Mr. Collins would like a private audience with your sister.
Lizzie: "No, no, wait, please. I beg you. Mr. Collins can have nothing to say to me that anybody need not hear."
Mrs. Bennet: "No nonsense, Lizzie. I desire you will stay where you are. Everyone else to the drawing room. Mr. Bennet?"

Mrs. Bennet: "Tell her that you insist upon them marrying."
Lizzie: "Papa, please!"
Mrs. Bennet: "You will have this house!"
Lizzie: "I can't marry him!"
Mrs. Bennet: "You'll save your sisters from destitution!"
Lizzie: "I can't!"
Mrs. Bennet: "Go back now and say you've changed your mind!"
Lizzie: "No!"
Mrs. Bennet: "Think of your family!"
Lizzie: "You cannot make me!"
Mrs. Bennet: "Mr Bennet, say something!"
Mr. Bennet: (to Lizzie) "So, your mother insists on you marrying Mr Collins."
Mrs. Bennet: "Yes, or I shall never see her again!"
Mr. Bennet: "Well Lizzie. From this day on 'you must be a stranger to one of your parents."
Mrs. Bennet: (to Lizzie) - "who will maintain you when your father is dead?"
Mr. Bennet: "Your mother will never see you again if you do not marry Mr Collins, and I will never see you again if you do."
Mrs. Bennet: "Mr Bennet!"
Lizzie: "Thank you, papa."
Mrs. Bennet:
"Oh, ungrateful child! I shall never speak to her again! Not that I have much pleasure in talking to anybody. People who suffer as I do from nervous complaints can have no inclination for talking. Nobody can tell what I suffer..."

~*~

Charlotte:
My dear Lizzie, I've come here to tell you the news. Mr Collins and I are engaged.

Lizzie stands up very suddenly (from the swing).

Lizzie: Engaged?
Charlotte:
Yes.
Lizzie: To be married?
Charlotte: Yes of course, Lizzie, what other kind of engaged is there?

Lizzie just stares at her. Charlotte, who is in a state, makes an impatient gesture towards her.

Charlotte: (cont'd) Oh for heavens sake, Lizzie, don't look at me like that. There's no earthly reason why I shouldn't be as happy with him as any other.
Lizzie: But he's ridiculous.
Charlotte: Oh hush. Not all of us can afford to be romantic. I've been offered a comfortable home and protection, there's a lot to be thankful for.
Lizzie: Charlotte
Charlotte: I'm twenty-seven years old. I have no money and no prospects. I'm already a burden to my parents and I'm frightened. So don't judge me, Lizzie, don't you dare judge me.


~*~

Mr. Collins: "Charlotte, come here!"
Charlotte: "Has the pig escaped again?"
Charlotte: "Oh. It's Lady Catherine."

Mr. Collins: Do not make yourself uneasy, my dear cousin, about your apparel.
Charlotte: Just put on whatever you've brought that's best.
Mr. Collins: Lady Catherine has never been averse to the truly humble.

Lady Catherine:
"Mr. Collins, you can't sit next to your wife. Move! Over there!"

Mr. Collins:
...which are only to be obtained through intercourse.
[pause, thunder]
Mr. Collins: Forgive me, through the intercourse of friendship or civility.

~*~

Mr. Darcy: Miss Elizabeth. I have struggled in vain and I can bear it no longer. These past months have been a torment. I came to Rosings with the single object of seeing you... I had to see you. I have fought against my better judgment, my family's expectations, the inferiority of your birth by rank and circumstance. All these things I am willing to put aside and ask you to end my agony.
Elizabeth Bennet: I don't understand.
Mr. Darcy: I love you. Most ardently. Please do me the honor of accepting my hand.
Elizabeth Bennet: Sir, I appreciate the struggle you have been through, and I am very sorry to have caused you pain. Believe me, it was unconsciously done.
Mr. Darcy: Is this your reply?
Elizabeth Bennet: Yes, sir.
Mr. Darcy: Are you...are you laughing at me?
Elizabeth Bennet: No.
Mr. Darcy: Are you *rejecting* me?
Elizabeth Bennet: I'm sure that the feelings which, as you've told me have hindered your regard, will help you in overcoming it.
Mr. Darcy: Might I ask why, with so little endeavor at civility, I am thus repulsed?
Elizabeth Bennet: And I might as well enquire why, with so evident a design of insulting me, you chose to tell me that you liked me against your better judgment!
Mr. Darcy: So this is your opinion of me? Thank you for explaining to fully. Perhaps these offences might have been overlooked had not your pride-
Elizabeth Bennet: My pride?
Mr. Darcy: I have been hurt by my honesty in admitting scruples about our relationship. Did you expect me to rejoice in the inferiority of your circumstances?
Elizabeth Bennet: And those are the words of a gentleman. From the first moment I met you, your arrogance and conceit, your selfish disdain for the feelings of others made me realize that you were the last man in the world I could ever be prevailed upon to marry.

~*~

Lizzie [On Marriage]: "Is that really all you think about?"
Mrs. Bennet: "When you have five daughters, Lizzie, tell me what else will occupy your thoughts, and then perhaps you will understand."
Lizzie [Mrs. B didn't hear her when she said this about Wickham though, lol]: "You do not know what he's like."


~*~

Netherfield Butler: A Mrs. Bennet, a Miss Bennet, a Miss Bennet and a Miss Bennet, sir.
Caroline Bingley: Oh for heaven's sake, are we to receive every Bennet in the country?

Lydia: Mr Bingley, is it true that you have promised to hold a ball here at Netherfield?
Lydia: It would be an excellent way to meet new friends. You could invite the militia. They are excellent company.
Kitty: Oh do hold a ball.

Mary: "I think a Ball is a perfectly irrational way to gain new acquaintance. It would be better if conversation instead of dancing were the order of the day."
Caroline: Indeed much more rational but rather less like a ball.
Lizzie: Thank you, Mary.


~*~

Caroline Bingley:
"Good Lord, Miss Bennet. Did you walked here?"
Elizabeth Bennet:
"I did."

~*~

Charlotte Lucas: Not all of us can afford to be romantic, Lizzie.

~*~

Mary:
"Oh, the glories of nature! What are men, compared to rocks and mountains?"
Lizzie:
Believe me. Men are either eaten up with arrogance or stupidity. If they are amiable, they are so easily led they have no minds of their own whatsoever.
Mrs. Gardiner: Take care, my love. That savors strongly of bitterness.

~*~

Mr. Darcy: My sister, Miss Georgiana...
Georgiana: Ms. Elizabeth! My brother has told me so much about you. I feel as if we are friends already!
Lizzie: Well, Thank you! What a beautiful piano forte!
Georgina: Oh Yes, my brother bought it for me, he shouldn't have.
Darcy: Yes I Should have. She's easily persuaded, is she not? (SMILING)

Georgina: Very well then!
Lizzie: Your unfortunate brother once had to put up with my playing the the whole evening!
Georgiana: But he said you play so well!
Lizzie: Then he has perjured himself most profoundly.

Darcy:
(laughs...then big smile here): "No I said you play "quite well."
Lizzie: Oh "quite well" is not the same as "very well." I am satisfied!

Georgiana:
Do you play duets, Miss Elizabeth?
Lizzie: Only when forced.
Georgiana (to Darcy): Brother, you must force her
.


~*~

Lady Catherine:
[to Lizzie] Mr. Darcy is engaged to my daughter. Do you think this union can be prevented by a young woman of inferior birth?

Lady Catherine: Now tell me once and for all. Are you engaged to him?
Elizabeth Bennet: I am not.
Lady Catherine: And will you promise never to enter into such an engagement?
Elizabeth Bennet: I will not and I certainly never shall. You have insulted me in every possible way, and can now have nothing further to say.
[Goes towards the door]
Elizabeth Bennet: I must ask you to leave immediately.
[Opens door]
Elizabeth Bennet: Good night.
Lady Catherine: [Storms out] I have never been thus treated in my entire life.

~*~

Mrs. Bennet:
Oh, my goodness. Everybody behave naturally.
Jane: Mary, the ribbons, the ribbons!
 

~*~

Mr. Bennet: Lizzie, are you out of your senses? I thought you hated the man.
Elizabeth Bennet: No, Papa.
Mr. Bennet: He's rich, to be sure, and you will have more fine carriages than Jane. But will that make you happy?
Elizabeth Bennet: Have you no objection other than your belief in my indifference?
Mr. Bennet: None at all. We all know him to be a proud, unpleasant sort of fellow... but that would be nothing if you really liked him.
Elizabeth Bennet: I do like him.
Mr. Bennet: Well...
Elizabeth Bennet: I love him.
Elizabeth Bennet: [about Mr. Darcy] He is not proud. I was wrong, I was entirely wrong about him. You don't know him, Papa. If I told you what he's really like, what he's done.
Mr. Bennet: What has he done?

Mr. Bennet: I cannot believe that anyone can deserve you... but it apppears I am overruled. So, I heartily give my consent.
Elizabeth Bennet: [kissing and hugging him] Thank you.
Mr. Bennet: I could not have parted with you, my Lizzie, to anyone less worthy.


Mr. Bennet: If any young men come for Mary or Kitty, for heaven's sake, send them in. I'm quite at my leisure.

~*~

Elizabeth Bennet: Jane. I've been so blind.

Mr. Bingley:
"How are you, Miss Elizabeth?"
Mr. Bingley:
"I know this is all very untoward, but I would like to request the privilege of speaking to Miss Jane...alone."
Mr. Bingley
[to Jane]: "First. I have to tell you that I have been an unmitigated and comprehensive ass."

Jane Bennet: "Yes, a thousand times yes!"

~*~

Mr. Darcy: And are you having a very pleasant trip?
Elizabeth Bennet: Yes...very pleasant.

~*~

Jane Bennet:
"Can you die of happiness? You know, he was totally ignorant of my being in town last spring!"

Jane Bennet:
"Oh Lizzie, if I could but see you so happy. If there were such another man for you!"
Elizabeth Bennet: "Perhaps Mr. Collins has a cousin."


~*~

Charlotte Lucas: We are all fools in love.

~*~

Mr. Darcy: You must know... surely, you must know it was all for you. You are too generous to trifle with me. I believe you spoke with my aunt last night, and it has taught me to hope as I'd scarcely allowed myself before. If your feelings are still what they were last April, tell me so at once. My affections and wishes have not changed, but one word from you will silence me forever. If, however, your feelings have changed, I will have to tell you: you have bewitched me, body and soul, and I love and love and love you. I never wish to be parted from you from this day on.

~*~

Mrs. Bennet: "But she doesn't like him. I thought she didn't like him."
Jane: "So did I, so did we all. We must have been wrong."
Mrs. Bennet: "Wouldn't be the first time, will it?"
Jane: "No, nor the last I dare say."


~*~

Mr. Darcy: How are you this evening my dear?
Elizabeth Bennet: Very well, only I wish you wouldn't call me 'my dear' 'cause that's what my father always calls my mother when he's cross about something.
Mr. Darcy: What terms of endearment am I allowed?
Elizabeth Bennet: Let me think...you may call me 'Lizzie' for everyday.
'My pearl' for Sundays. And 'Goddess Divine', but only on very special occassions.
Mr. Darcy: ...And what am I to call you when I'm cross? Mrs. Darcy?
Elizabeth Bennet: No, No. You may only call me Mrs. Darcy when you're completely, perfectly and incandescently happy.
Mr. Darcy: And how are you this evening, Mrs. Darcy?
[kisses Elizabeth's forehead]
Mr. Darcy: ...Mrs. Darcy...
[kisses her cheek]
Mr. Darcy: ...Mrs. Darcy...
[kisses her nose]
Mr. Darcy: ...Mrs. Darcy...
[kisses her other cheek]
Mr. Darcy: ...Mrs...
[his voice, a whisper, fades out, and he draws Elizabeth closer to him as she leans in and he kisses her]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Rosamund Pike!

Top 10 Favorite Pride & Prejudice Movie Quotes

P&P Movie Script